I LOVE risotto but much like others, feel it can be somewhat intimidating. I came up with a risotto recipe that tastes like the REAL creamy risotto we had in Italy, but without all the work & hassle of constantly watching/stirring/adding broth. It only takes 5 steps which was perfect for an easy SUNDAY night supper.
Mushroom & Asparagus Faux Risotto
1. Cook Basmati rice as instructed except use chicken stock instead of water. If you can, use homemade chicken stock. Mine already had a lot of herbs & chunks of chicken in it which definitely add to the depth of flavor.
2. Saute some mushrooms (any kind!) in butter and some sherry in a separate pan.
3. Steam asparagus and cut into bite-size pieces. (ours were leftover from a previous meal)
4. Once rice is cooked, add cooked mushrooms and asparagus along with 1/3 cup of milk and simmer on low.
5. Add pinch of salt and a grate of nutmeg before serving.