Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Applesauce

As mentioned, we had a ton of apples from our orchard ready for picking and eating!  I froze a lot for the holidays but also decided to make my own applesauce.  This was a test recipe that I tried at home in Raleigh before I go to the farm this week and really make use of all the delicious apples!
   


We like to add this to cake batter for a really moist & rich cake and we also serve it with pork and potato cakes.    I am thinking I will freeze some for a treat for Cutty when he comes at Christmas!  


The secret is the sweetness of the apples - do not use tart ones!


Here is the recipe: 
Peel & cut apples
Simmer with only a tiny bit of water until soft 
Add one teaspoon of cinnamon
Stir and then mash with a potato masher
Allow to cool then freeze!  


Homemade Applesauce - YUM!  

No comments:

Post a Comment