Monday, August 5, 2013

How to arrange a wall of pictures

A studio wall- floor to ceiling with paintings, drawings, photos and mirrors. It can be a mess- unless you carefully compose it before it goes up. I love to collect old paintings. I am drawn to the richness and life that I just can't see in a new painting...


This is a gallery wall in my hall in Raleigh most of them have a general theme -old ,old frames and gold tones
Most of these are from Flea Markets all over the world and I have hung them floor to ceiling
The house at the bottom is a sugar cane plantation on the bayou where my grandmother grew up
I bought this old painting in the Cotswolds at Barnsley House - Rosemary Verey's house
Detail of a painting that Deborah  found
This is my business partners Deborah's dining room, we have used mirrors and two large portraits of women  for this wall and kept to a triangle shape to humanize the proportions  of the room.
This was originally  a huge gabled wall so we had a lot of area to cover...


These portraits are probably from the 30's and when we got them they were a mess . Also they needed new frames.

Detail of portrait- so moody!




No comments:

Post a Comment