Monday, May 14, 2012

Chocolate Custard

I'm always looking for easy desserts that take little time and also can use up ingredients I already have available at the farm.    We always have eggs and we always have chocolate so I decided to make a chocolate custard.  Originally I thought it would be a pudding but when I threw it all together and cooked it, I thought it was more custard-like.   

Chocolate Custard
12 pieces of your favorite chocolate - can be dark, milk, etc.  
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup strong espresso (left over from breakfast)
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons sugar

Melt chocolate, butter and espresso in a double boiler until smooth.  Remove from double boiler and let cool slightly.  Beat egg yolks and sugar together and add to chocolate mixture.  Be careful it's not too hot or the eggs will scramble.   Place bowl back onto boiler and heat through until thickened.   Pour into glasses and chill for 5 to 6 hours.  Garnish with fresh berries and mint! 

Melting the chocolate, butter & espresso

I used my favorite candy that Rebecca sends me for my birthday
(thank you Rebecca!)

A perfect end to a meal

No comments:

Post a Comment